Meet Me Halfway
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MMH After the Walk - Visions

2 posters

Go down

MMH After the Walk - Visions Empty MMH After the Walk - Visions

Post  lorendasue Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:07 pm

I've noted that ideas/visions for what MMH can be following the conclusion of Jimmy Wayne's walk have been requested. Saw a tweet just today asking for visions. I don't know exactly in what form the responses are desired, but I've decided to put mine here. My ideas are too long for Twitter and I believe that this forum - or some later version of it - can be an integral part of how MMH can continue and be a real force in improving the lives of foster children.

I hope that other ideas will come forward from this post. The best ideas are developed from many minds.

In my vision, I see the Regional MMH groups (currently nine of them) as the way to provide resources to agencies assisting foster children in their respective states. Each regional group would identify the organizations, such as Monroe Harding in Nashville and Home Based Youth Services in Phoenix, that provide direct services to foster children. This would require research by individuals within each regional group to identify the organizations (the National MMH personnel could make Regional MMH leaders aware of organizations within each region that they already know about). Then, someone would have to make direct contact with each organization and learn about them. This would specifically include learning what that organization needs on an on-going basis (do they always need clothes, or do they always need copy paper and trash bags), as well as when their regular fund-raisers and awareness activities take place. That Regional MMH would then organize a calender of events to distribute to members. It would also send that calendar to the National MMH for distribution to persons in neighboring Regions. The calender - in my vision - involves one specific activity at least ten months of the year which supports one of the organizations in its region. This would be enough activities for each member in the region to have an opportunity to participate without feeling that they have rearrange their personal lives to be part of one or two planned activities during the year. Not every member could participate in each activity, but maybe every member could find one that fits their abilities and budget.

I also see the Regional MMH's as the way to spread information on what legal changes need to be proposed in their area and/or are being proposed in their area. If a state has pending legislation which would positively impact the administration of the foster care system in the state, or be beneficial to foster care children and those recently aged out, then the information on the legislation could be distributed to members in that state to contact their own legislators to seek support for the legislation. This would also be an area where the National MMH personnel could assist Regional MMH leaders in learning how to monitor their region's legislation.

I see the National MMH personnel as the people who can keep everyone informed of what is going on around the nation in the various regions. I also see the National MMH as the informant regarding legislation which could be proposed at the federal level to improve foster care in all states and/or improve the situation for recently aged-out young adults. By giving information to the various Regional leaders about matters pending before Congress, the members could be a vocal group to encourage positive legislation. The National MMH personnel could also assist Regional leaders in finding activities such as fundraisers, collections and work days at foster care organizations that work for their areas and help them with ideas on how to organization such activities.

I would specifically like to see the Earned Income Credit be available for recently aged out young adults. From what I've learned of this federal income tax provision, it is currently available only to persons who are 25 and up. I think it would greatly benefit those as young as 18 who are not claimed as a dependent on someone else's taxes. The difficulty in getting such a change made is that you'd have to find some place that taxes could be raised to offset any lost taxes from changing the Earned Income Credit. That's just the way legislation works.

This forum, or some later version of it, can work as a place of exchange of information and support system for individuals who are seeking to make improvements in their area.

OK, that's my idea - what's yours?

lorendasue

Back to top Go down

MMH After the Walk - Visions Empty Moving forward

Post  ElaUrias Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:05 pm

I like your ideas for what this should be moving forward. I think people need something on a calendar to see if they can fit this into their schedule and their needs wants likes. We are all human and need to not feel the pressure of having to juggle two lives to ensure we help. If it works for them they can join in and help.

I have started some of the research you mentioned in your post because I couldn't wait around for someone to tell me to look into something. I have found some fantastic information out! I was in the process of writing letters to groups I thought should be involved, then took a step back and decided to do my homework first before being accusatory. Decided if I wanted their help I best know what the heck I was talking about.

I will be posting some of that information in a later post - hopefully it will make it to the pages of projectMMH.org soon there after. There are a lot of good people doing great things and we just need to know they are out there and enlighten others that they need our help!

I believe we need to stay involved or the trek halfway across the country would have been for nothing by our founder Mr. Wayne (I don't much about him but have been following this cause since just before my birthday on 1/16) and although I don't do it for him, or his praises (mine will come later at the end of my life) I do know he ignited that need to help in me that was so lost.

Cheers - Ela
ElaUrias
ElaUrias

Back to top Go down