Meet Me Halfway
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Message from Jimmy Wayne

Go down

Message from Jimmy Wayne Empty Message from Jimmy Wayne

Post  KristyBarto Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:30 am

Project Meet Me Halfway Angel Tree Program:
Message from Jimmy Wayne
It's that time of year when single moms and struggling families are submitting their applications for the Angel Tree. Many children and elderly people in facilities depend on sponsors to sponsor an Angel from the Angel Tree. Otherwise, they will not get a gift for Christmas. We've all heard "It's not the gift that counts." To adults, that may be true, but when a poor kid sees another kid in the neighborhood riding a new bike and wearing new clothes and a smile, it counts to them. These kids don't expect much because they're not used to getting much. My sister and I both were recipients of the Salvation Army Angel Tree when we were kids. Had it not been for sponsors like you, we wouldn't have gotten that new coat and a game. I remember receiving a deck of UNO cards one Christmas and nothing else. My sister and I played UNO all day. It's the most memorable Christmas I have.

The elderly are also needing help. Some were school teachers, stay at home moms while their husband fought the war, war veterans, doctors, shoe smiths, widows, grandmas and grandpas. Unfortunately, some have been abandoned by their families. They may get a visit once every 6 months if they're lucky. A warm sweater, a walking cane, a picture frame that they can put their families picture in that's been taped to the wall by their bed, or anything you think your grandparents would need would certainly be appreciated by each of these amazing people.

Financially, some of you cannot sponsor a child or an elder this year. However, you may want to consider helping out at your local Salvation Army warehouse distributing the gifts to each single mom that arrives to collect her child's gift and food. Some even walk to the warehouse because they don't have transportation.

It's simple. Just contact your local Salvation Army and offer your support.

I believe that the Salvation Army collects Angel Tree applications until December 15th. They have to have enough time for distribution. This gives them 8 days to organize and distribute. Please help.

— Jimmy Wayne

KristyBarto

Back to top Go down