Meet Me Halfway
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Planning for One Year Anniversary of the Jimmy Wayne's Project Meet Me Halfway

+4
lorendasue
julieNwyoming
Admin
ElaUrias
8 posters

Go down

Planning for One Year Anniversary of the Jimmy Wayne's Project Meet Me Halfway Empty Planning for One Year Anniversary of the Jimmy Wayne's Project Meet Me Halfway

Post  ElaUrias Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:58 pm

(I'm not sure if this topic belongs somewhere else - so please forgive me for not putting it in the proper place if it isn't)

I think planning should start on how to mark the first anniversary of the start of Project Meet Me Halfway. I am just going to throw out a few ideas and see how they stick or if they slide off the wall like so much spaghetti...

Let's call this Idea #1:
1700 Mile Walk for Project Meet Me Halfway 1/1/11

I think we should all try to recruit and commit to walking 1700 miles on the morning of 1/1/11. Now wait a minute, I don't mean each one of us walk that entire distance, but I'm thinking there are enough of us (500??) to get 3 friends/relatives to walk that mile with you as a symbolic gesture of what the champion of this great Project did. I know, I know that's a tough commitment after a night of celebrating the New Year, but remember he did this for 7 months, after what he went through I think I could waddle my body along for a mile. How cool would that be for Mr. Wayne (don't know his last name) to see that we are still committed to this cause. It could be either a lot of members in one place or with your family or church group. 1/1/11 falls on a Saturday so we should be able to get some people together don't you think? The bonus here is that it not only shows we are still committed but also can get more people to ask questions about what this is all about. It's a slippery slope to keep people engaged and I think the more things we do to prove it wasn't a short term notion the better - Ideas? comments? I'm insane?...

Idea #2:
Light up the night - Candlelight Vigil 1/1/11

Okay, I know it's been done before but it's a powerful message to be out in the cold and holding a candle in the dark to show that we hope to be the light in the darkness for these kids (I mean no disrespect but I'm almost 50, anyone under the age of 30 are kids to me - so my apologies ahead of time if anyone is offended by that term). One candle burning in the night is a soft glow but the more people we have out there we could be a bright light proving we are out there and we care and we hope to guide these kids to a better future. I don't know maybe we could meet up at local shelters or outreach centers or even your church parking lot; the point is we are lighting up the sky and proving our commitment. Ideas, comments, ....

I'm still working on other ideas but I wanted to get these out there - the year end comes up fast and with so many family things going on I wanted to see what anyone thinks about these. With planning these could be cool...

Okay - got other things I'm researching.

Cheers,
Ela
ElaUrias
ElaUrias

Back to top Go down

Planning for One Year Anniversary of the Jimmy Wayne's Project Meet Me Halfway Empty Re: Planning for One Year Anniversary of the Jimmy Wayne's Project Meet Me Halfway

Post  Admin Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:49 pm

Ela,

I really like your ideas about commemorating the 1 year anniversary of the start of MMH. Idea #1 is my favorite--it also seems like a big statement considering it would be January(cold!!) and a good way to kick off MMH year 2/kick off our 2011 in the way Jimmy kicked off 2010. #2 could be interesting if we could get enough people together--maybe in combo with a service project for the home earlier in the day?? (don't want to steal your idea, just got to thinking once I read your post) Smile

Sounds like you're on a roll! Keep up the great work!

Admin
Admin

https://meetmehalfway.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Planning for One Year Anniversary of the Jimmy Wayne's Project Meet Me Halfway Empty Re: Planning for One Year Anniversary of the Jimmy Wayne's Project Meet Me Halfway

Post  ElaUrias Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:05 pm

Thanks - I plan things well in advance as much as possible. I've had Halloween planned for sometime. :0)

Idea #1 - Thanks - I thought this would make a bold statement to Jimmy.

Idea #2 - A day of service sometime that week-end maybe? With the holiday some people might have commitments, but I really like the idea of adding the candlelight vigil with the day of service. Sunday night maybe?

The wheels are turning...

Cheers,
Ela
ElaUrias
ElaUrias

Back to top Go down

Planning for One Year Anniversary of the Jimmy Wayne's Project Meet Me Halfway Empty 1700 Mile Walk to commorate Project Meet Me Halfway 1 year Anniversay

Post  julieNwyoming Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:17 pm

I'm trying to catch up...so I hope this works. Laughing

I really like the 1700 mile walk idea to celebrate the 1 year anniversay of Project Meet Me Halfway and to remember Jimmy's walk. I will never forget last January 1st and the emotions I had as I thought about what Jimmy was undertaking and why. I know January 1, 2011 will be just as emotional for me and instead of sitting in the house dwelling on it, I have already commited to walking that day, similar to what I did for the National walk on May 1st. I probably won't go 10 miles, but I will go as far as the weather allows. If the weather is just too cold or the paths too icy I will walk at the mall or possibly in our downtown area. If the stores are open (mall is open 1/1, not sure about downtown shops) I would hand out Meet Me Halfway flyers. I think it would be great if ALL of us together could log 1700 miles in appreciation of Jimmy's effort...and most importantly for the Teens he and all of us are fighting so hard for. I'm excited to walk! bounce

julieNwyoming

Back to top Go down

Post  lorendasue Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:28 pm

I REALLY like the idea of organizing to have miles walked in different areas which cumulatively total 1700 miles.

Since the date is a Saturday, there are a lot of options for other things which can be done. I think that additional activities which are done should be dependent on the area. In some places the weather may allow a walk from some location to a facility where work projects can be performed after the walk. In some parts of the country planning a outdoor camping event might not be wise due to weather concerns, but in other areas it could be used very effectively. In other places it might be possible to link the walk to a traditional New Years Day event by walking a mile or two to or from that traditional event to some other place where an emphasis on foster care would make sense.

In Nashville it might be possible to walk a mile from Monroe Harding and then go to the 100 Oaks area where a fund-raiser of some sort could be arranged with one of the businesses there. Maybe Logan's Roadhouse would contribute a portion of their New Years Day sales to Monroe Harding.

I would just caution anyone planning a group walk to check with your local government to see how big a group you can have before you need some kind of permit for it.

lorendasue

Back to top Go down

Post  PharmgirlNC Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:31 pm

I totally missed Jimmy Wayne's walk last year (I know, I know, but I had a lot going on and really didn't know anything about it or really about him while it was going on). I have since been enlightened (and inspired) and would be willing to take a walk on 1/1/11 to add to the 1700 mile goal.

Cindy flower

PharmgirlNC

Back to top Go down

Planning for One Year Anniversary of the Jimmy Wayne's Project Meet Me Halfway Empty I LOVE this idea for the 1700 mile walk!

Post  atacarrillo Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:29 pm

This is such an awesome idea! What a great way to get the family out! We have 7 in my family and if we walked, that would be 7 miles in only 15 minutes! But this wonderful little seed has got my mind going. I'm thinking it would be great for us to go down to San Diego Bay and set up my pop-up and table and give out information to get people to join our Street Team and sign up to commit to walking 1 mile on the bay (which they are probably already doing) We have lots of tourists over the holidays, so this could potentially plant seeds across the US and abroad. Seems like a lovely way to spend our New Years Day walking and playing at the Bay and spreading awareness Smile

I'm thinking this could be done anywhere outside anything that is Open on New Years Day. Outside a grocery store, city street where there might be a parade, football game. Anywhere! I'm thinking if you don't have a seriously organized walk with only a table set up for info, we wouldn't need a permit. I'll be checking on that. Also, we could even talk with local youth organizations to help them get volunteers for a specific project. Peeps may not want to spend their New Years Day doing service, but might walk a mile and commit to something a few weeks away. Most importantly, we could get more members to raise our collective voice Smile

Thanks for the inspiration ladies! Now if we could just get more peeps on here to check out the forum Razz
atacarrillo
atacarrillo

Back to top Go down

Post  ElaUrias Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:52 pm

..exactly! I can easily create an Excel spreadsheet and take note where people commit to miles, I bet we can get this filled in no time.

hmmm maybe hashtag (#) on Twitter like #1700miles commit to and a comment on how many miles commited to. Then we can add them up. What do you think? Name, Twitter Name (if applicible) and miles commited can be posted somewhere? obviously if someone wants to be annonymous they can...

I work Saturdays, but can commit to get my miles done that day (I'll get family and friends to join me or do them myself)... So how do we get momentum behind this?

Thanks,
Ela
ElaUrias
ElaUrias

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:00 pm

Ela,

Not sure if you've ever used GoogleDocs, but with the spreadsheet creator on there, it creates a link to an online form (and a code that can be embedded into a website) and as people enter their names and miles pledged into it, it automatically updates the spreadsheet. Just a thought, if you don't want to deal with entering the information into the spreadsheet. If you want to give this a shot and need help setting it up, just let me know (my email account is through them)

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Planning for One Year Anniversary of the Jimmy Wayne's Project Meet Me Halfway Empty spreadsheet ideas

Post  atacarrillo Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:37 pm

Ella,
That's what is so great about MMH - peeps using their talents together to achieve great ideas Smile I am lousy with computer things like spreadsheets. If you create a Doc., I'd love to be able to print it out and then, maybe after that day, we can all get on and enter the info for who we got signed up so it can tally everyone accross the country. I just don't know if everyone we talk to will get on and actually log their miles. For example, if I get peeps on their vacation, they might not be getting on the computer and will forget by the time they get home. It would be great to have people enter their name and email address and after the fact we can send them an email to thank them for walking and a link to ProjectMMH.org encouraging them to sign up to be a street team member. If peeps are concerned about giving their email, we can re-assure them that we will only use the email once and will not maintain a list. When we are out and about handing out business cards or flyers, you really have to make an impression for them to go home and log on themselves, but when they have some down time and are checking their emails, they might think "oh yeah, that was a cool project - I'll check it out" Giving them a link makes it so much likely they'll check it out Smile

Ella, I have no idea where you live. But I think working on this forum is such a great way to work globally as a team. If only we can get everyone else to log on! I sent Kristy and Dreama asking if we could post a link to the forum on facebook and twitter to get our MMH friends to log on. In the mean time, I'm just going to post for MMH friends to check out the forum to see new idea about the Anniv. Walk. A link would be better in case they've forgotten how to log on, but I'm not sure if this forum is for MMH members only or if it's okay for others to check it out w/o membership.
atacarrillo
atacarrillo

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:54 pm

Terri,
This forum is for anyone interested in MMH, not just for street team members. So yes, passing the link along on facebook/twitter/wherever else you think it would be uesful would be great...the more people checking it out and brainstorming the better!

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Planning for One Year Anniversary of the Jimmy Wayne's Project Meet Me Halfway Empty spreading the forum word

Post  atacarrillo Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:14 pm

Yeah! I was hoping it would be okay, didn't want to step out of line Razz
atacarrillo
atacarrillo

Back to top Go down

Post  JenneyLynn Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:22 pm

I like those ideas- but it shouldn't be about what Jimmy thinks would be cool. I think it would mean more if whatever we did brought more attention to the cause, which is why Jimmy did the walk in the first place. If we could get a lot of community members to do a walk in the heart of " " town, it would send a loud message that the kids who suffer in silence with no family, or home, are not forgotten or foresaken. If we could even get media coverage for it-awesome!! But whatever the plan is going to be, we need to get things situated NOW!! January 1st is sooner than some think.

JenneyLynn

Back to top Go down

Planning for One Year Anniversary of the Jimmy Wayne's Project Meet Me Halfway Empty 1 Year Project MMH Anniversary!

Post  sharonfrompa Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:54 pm

I'm all for the Idea of the 1700 mile Walk! Not all of us can get the connections, I have been trying to do! But if each of us can Walk on Jan. 1, 2011 at least we know why we are walking to mark the 1 Year Anniversary of Project MMH! It will be a Day we will never forget & to keep comitted to Project MMH & to Honor the Man that started it all, Jimmy Wayne! Since I don't have local Foster Youth I can help with, I do what I can by Voting and Supporting the PA4Partnership Site that is doing an amazing job on constantly helping make the Awareness of the Foster Youth! Getting Bills Passed to improve all areas of Adoption of the Foster Youth! Laughing

sharonfrompa

Back to top Go down

Planning for One Year Anniversary of the Jimmy Wayne's Project Meet Me Halfway Empty Call to action!!

Post  ElaUrias Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:15 pm

I've been following the cause/walk since 1/12/10. I'm not a fan of Jimmy Wayne's music so I had no clue any of this was going on, I found out about this by accident. Many aspects of this cause touch my family; from foster children, adopted children to a son in law that raised himself. So this for me is absolutely nothing to do with being a fan or trying to impress Jimmy. I couldn't even name one of his songs, I could probably hum one of them maybe two, but name any...no.

I agree it isn't about what Jimmy thinks is 'cool' it's more about the commitment that I thought he might think was 'cool'. A year later and there are still people talking about it and commiting to do something about getting the word out. I'm not one to wait for someone to get me moving, it encouraged me to not only volunteer as part of the AZ MMH group but things on my own. I have shadowed financial training class for homeless teen girls foster care facility, a project for Free Arts for Abused Children, spent a day with homeless clients at United Way - Homeless Connect and now making handmade cards (144) for children in hospitals, eldercare facilities and our military... So, it's not about what Jimmy would think is cool, it's about being commited and still spreading the word. Homeless youth is still a problem, and those like my son in law; children/youth raising themselves; going to school AND working fulltime earning the family money to survive in an apartment with a substance abusing parent and eating only ramen for years so they won't be taken into fostercare. This is a problem.

Just over a month is probably too short a time to get community leaders involved and media coverage is wishful thinking (not that it can't happen but there HAS to be a tie in for them) but if anyone thinks they can in their area -more power to them!

Let me go about getting this spreadsheet done - I'll see what we can do about getting it posted with the admin by Friday and let’s start getting those commitments! We are all in this together -

Let’s get out there; tell all our connections (and new people) about this; Let's get them on board and fill up the sheet! – I’m hoping with a little over a month that’s there’s still enough time to get the miles!! My original post was in September but we'll do this - I can feel it.

Cheers - Ela
ElaUrias
ElaUrias

Back to top Go down

Planning for One Year Anniversary of the Jimmy Wayne's Project Meet Me Halfway Empty Ela

Post  sharonfrompa Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:18 am

I appauled you for all your work with all the different Organizations! Your family diffently knows what ProjectMMh is all about having to go thru what they did! As for you Making it a Point that you never knew about Jimmy Wayne & his Music & that the ProjectMMH is what got you involved it also Great! But I don't agree with anybody Knocking us Fans that have been following Jimmy since 2003 when he stared with his Music Career! Because of Jimmy when I first saw a Live Concert in my Hometown & he told his Story,in 2004, that is when I found out about what he went thru in his life. I was hooked on his Music & I have been listening to his story at every show I have attended since then! But Until he came up with ProjectMMH I didn't know that the Foster System & Foster Youth were in such a Dire need of reforming! That's when I started to get involved with finding out all the information on what needs to be done! In my State we have been fortunate that the Foster Youth has been a priorty & getting involved with the Websites at least my voice can be heard by voting on all the Important Issues that need attention! It has been a success! Thank God! So you got involved because of hearing about ProjectMMH which is understandable a Blessing for your Family! It also has been a Blessing for me because I didn't know what kind of state the Foster System and Foster Youth was in until Jimmy started ProjectMMH! So we are all winners & it makes us all want to get involved to Help in any way we can! God Bless You & your Family!

sharonfrompa

Back to top Go down

Post  ElaUrias Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:37 am

My apologies - my response was not to disrespect his fans. My point was that MMH isn't about being a fan (whether you are or not) it's really about the cause and it has opened people's eyes regardless of how they got involved. I went through an extremely rough year where I lost EVERYTHING (including job and home) and I found MMH just when I needed it. So props (definately) to anyone that has been following his career and I truly wish him well I think he is genuine. Country music is just not my cup of tea and that's okay, the diverse group of people and talents this has brought together should be celebrated, and that is what my point was about the year anniversary. It's not to impress Jimmy but to let him know regardless how we got involved that we are still out there getting the word out and helping with the cause...

Cheers Ela
ps. I only mention any of the things I have done to give other people ideas of what might be out there in their local area. I don't need validation from anyone, God knows what I'm doing and my reasons, but if telling a little of what I'm doing gives anyone ideas or any kind of motivation...
ElaUrias
ElaUrias

Back to top Go down

Planning for One Year Anniversary of the Jimmy Wayne's Project Meet Me Halfway Empty Working Together

Post  atacarrillo Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:05 pm

I think we all have our hearts in the right place and anyone saying someting catty is clearly not seeing the whole picture. We are here to work together. I think Ela was trying to clear up a misconception by a member (who if you look has only bothered to post that one comment). She may not have even meant it to come off catty. That is the hard part of conversing on the internet. Let's ignore anyone's comments that are negative and focus on the positive. I think Ela has planted the seed of an increadible way to spread awareness. The point here is to share ideas and we can all expand on them in our own way. Putting our ideas out there only helps each other.

When I mentioned this to my co-worker last night, she jumped right on board and wants to help and gave me more ideas. We're gonna put up my pop-up ask people to commit to walk, give them info about joining the Street Team, have info about SD Youth Services, hopefully get a project for SDYS organized that people could sign up for if they are inspired. And then my friend thought about getting coffee, hot chocolate & donuts or cookies donated to give out (and of course, accept donations if the peeps feel inclined Smile )!

See what happens when we work together, seeds are planted, others water the seed with their input and out of that great accomplishments are created! I thank you Ela for your wonderful seed Smile Bless you!
atacarrillo
atacarrillo

Back to top Go down

Planning for One Year Anniversary of the Jimmy Wayne's Project Meet Me Halfway Empty Expanding on the ideas

Post  atacarrillo Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:26 pm

Oh yeah! I forgot the other ideas my co-workers and I came up with. We can take the sign up form to everyone we know and get them to commit to walking (co-workers, neighbors, church members). I bet we'd get to 1700 before 1/1/11! Giving our co-workers a flyer or even just a card with www.ProjectMMH.org would be good.

Since we only have a month, we'd have to hurry. I personally am not good at creating flyers, but if anyone is good at creating a flyer to encourage people to walk (and hopefully they can be altered for each member's area to include where to go or what they are doing special there). That would be great. If we get businesses to donate things or flyers, we can include them on the flyer (they like that Smile ). Then once we get a great flyer, we can send it to media. The radio stations here were very receptive to putting our WWF Walk on their website page, but I didn't ask in time. Remember, we can only ask radio once. I am fortunate to know some of our D.J.s, so taking it to them to bring to their management is less of a nuiscance (sp). Work that angle if you can. D.J.s have heart and can plead your case to their management Smile For the stations, that I don't know peeps a press release will have to do. And T.V. media sometimes like a feel good cause. They might jump on. Never hurts to send them a press release.

Throw out the seeds and see who waters it!
atacarrillo
atacarrillo

Back to top Go down

Planning for One Year Anniversary of the Jimmy Wayne's Project Meet Me Halfway Empty Ela & Terrie

Post  sharonfrompa Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:43 pm

You both are right with all of us coming together for ProjectMMH! No matter how we found out about it! Everybody sharing with what they are doing to get involved is really a Bonus! The One person that made a comment about my area is the one person I tried to get together with! All I am going to say about that! You both live in the States that you have the Orgs. to get involved with! Unfortunately I keep hitting a Brick Wall! I will keep searching for Orgs. in PA to try to get involved with more! Until then I will keep supporting ProjectMMH & JimmyWayne! I posted on Facebook about the 1 Year Anniversary ProjectMMH & asked all family & friends to join me! Fortunate for both of you, your Families get involved where as to mine they don't see the importance of it like I do! No Ill Feelings here! Very Happy

sharonfrompa

Back to top Go down

Planning for One Year Anniversary of the Jimmy Wayne's Project Meet Me Halfway Empty lets get them walking

Post  atacarrillo Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:31 pm

Hi Sharon,
Miss you TGF! I think on New Years Day, you should get your family to go out on a walk with you to walk off the good food and while you're walking tell them why they are walking and why it's important to you Razz Maybe that's tricking them a little, but it might get them thinking with the fresh air and family bonding time. Remind them of how lucky they are to have a family and that it breaks your heart to think of the kids without a forever family. How could they resist not wanting to hug you and see what a great thing ur doin with MMH Smile Hugs! Teri
atacarrillo
atacarrillo

Back to top Go down

Planning for One Year Anniversary of the Jimmy Wayne's Project Meet Me Halfway Empty Flier & Excel Spreadsheet

Post  atacarrillo Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:28 pm

I've been waiting to get a msg of a post from the Forum and have been so bummed to not get one. I was thinking Yeah! We're finally communicating on the forum! And then nothing. Now that I log on thru the website and not the link to this specific topic disc., I see no-one has responded to this, but there are separate topic disc. for the Anniv Walk started Razz Wish I woulda went in thru the site sooner Sad Question to Admin. Is there any way to get a msg that the forum has a new post or only if you've commented on a particular topic? Maybe if someone wants to start a new topic, they could post that a new topic was started so those that have been on this topic could be alerted.

My Anniv. Walk plans are developing and I'm kinda at a stand still waiting to see if anyone is able to make a Walk Flier and the Excel Sheet to sign up walkers. I want to post fliers at community centers, church and the youth orgs around the city to encourage peeps to walk. I have no skills with fliers and spreadsheets and was hoping someone who did would do it. Anyone??? (I'm going to copy and paste this on the other Topic.)
atacarrillo
atacarrillo

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:25 pm

Terri,

As far as I'm aware, email messages notifications can only be sent if you've already posted in that topic, to avoid spamming your inbox with messages (well I guess that would be more of a problem if we got a lot of people into posting).

The new topic was created so that all of the info about the walk and the link to sign up wouldn't get lost in this topic since it was getting so long.

As for the spreadsheet, the link in the other topic (with the little fill in the blank form) is attached to a spreadsheet, so the spreadsheet is set up, just not visible to everyone (since it has people's email addresses), if you want the miles you have people commit to included in that, just enter them into that forum and it'll be automatically entered into the spreadsheet that has been set up on GoogleDocs. Feel free to pass that link on to anyone that would be interested in signing up!

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down