Meet Me Halfway
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Holiday Project (possibility?) what do you think

4 posters

Go down

Holiday Project (possibility?) what do you think Empty Holiday Project (possibility?) what do you think

Post  ElaUrias Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:17 am

This is the time of year where people get lonely and it's really hard to deal with not having someone, or thinking there isn't anyone who cares about you....

So I got to thinking - sort of goes along with what Jimmy suggested in his email earlier this week... Maybe we can make and collect handmade cards, I mean there are a lot of us that are crafty or artistic, and write them out to be handed out in youth drop in facilities, foster care facilities, elder care facilities and such.

I don't have the funds to contribute much, but I can make cards. I think a personal message of faith and hope and letting them know that someone is thinking of them, that they aren't alone says a lot when you need it. Maybe we can sign our first name only and then Project MMH. Conveys we are part of an organization that thought to bring this small contact to them.

I have a huge family and can't imagine life without them or someone not always being there. It's heart breaking that some people have to go through the holidays alone.

What does anyone think of this idea?

Cheers,
Ela Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ElaUrias
ElaUrias

Back to top Go down

Holiday Project (possibility?) what do you think Empty Re: Holiday Project (possibility?) what do you think

Post  fascitelli Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:31 pm

Pam I like your idea of making cards. I really can't donate much in the way of actual money
either but I can donate my time and skill. I know what its like to be alone on the holidays
and not receive a gift or card so small gestures like this would be wonderful to make someones day. Let me know what's going on with this and I'd be happy to help. I'd be
happy to donate baked goods to go along with it too. Lucille

fascitelli

Back to top Go down

Holiday Project (possibility?) what do you think Empty Re: Holiday Project (possibility?) what do you think

Post  feleciakiser Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:39 am

I love this idea! i always say that i am the cheapest person to give a gift to...getting a card that someone has taken the time to write to you is very special, especially one that someone has made and put a bit their heart into. This is definitely a sweet idea and would make a great local project that others could copy and implement easily with youth shelters in their own areas!
feleciakiser
feleciakiser

http://helpfosterlings.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Holiday Project (possibility?) what do you think Empty Awesome Card idea

Post  atacarrillo Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:38 pm

Ela or Pam is it? You, my dear, have such awesome ideas! I love it!

Question to Admin. Could this idea be sent out to all MMH members as so few are here on the forum and you really have to hunt for things on here to even see it. Wouldn't it be great when a mass email is sent out to include a link to that particular topic Smile

Just another idea that Jessica ? from SoCal tweeted about and I loved it. She mentioned collecting toys (or maybe just cards) for our Polinsky Center here in SD. It is a receiving center where children are removed from homes and are in transition to either go into foster care, group homes, juvenile hall or hopefully back to their own homes (hopefully if they are good homes). These kids in particular must feel the most disconcerted at this time of year. It's not practical for peeps to necessarily donate to Polinsky here in SD. But check your area and see where kids in this situation go to. If you really can't find one in your area, then by all means look Polinsky up online and send them some cards. If anyone can't find it online, please msg me and I'll find it for sure.
atacarrillo
atacarrillo

Back to top Go down

Holiday Project (possibility?) what do you think Empty Donating to Child Receiving Centers

Post  atacarrillo Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:24 pm

Just wanted to put this out there. I came across a killer deal on Monday. Michaels craft store has a special everyday till Christmas and on Mon. it was art supply kits for only $2.50. With 5 kids, I really don't have much to spare, but the thought of these kids being is such an aweful situation at this time of year has been breaking my heart. I called the Center here and they said that would be awesome. They typically have about 50 kids on a daily basis ranging from 0-18 yrs. I was able to go to a couple stores and snag 30 kits. I stopped there due to time and money, but also knowing younger ones can't really have an art kit. I plan to have my kids make some home made cards next week when they are off. Gotta keep them busy! Not sure if I can come up with something for little ones, but if anyone has any ideas for something inexpensive, I might be able to swing it. Any ideas?
atacarrillo
atacarrillo

Back to top Go down

Post  ElaUrias Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:26 am

Wow! Thats a smoking deal! I would say little ones like doing craft stuff too (well I'm only judging from my 2 yr old and 3 yr old grand daughters). I give them the large crayons and art paper or those larger foam stickers. Obviously, they have been around them for ages so never had an issue with them going in their mouths.

Other than that I've noticed little ones like blankies and small pillows. We made some really inexpensive ones by folding in half and sewing together a 2.50 blanket from Targets (bargain area), making it square and stuffing the cuttoffs into a small pillow. My granddaugther will be making dolls for next years donations. She was motivated by a foster children wrapping event that was cancelled due to lack of donations.
ElaUrias
ElaUrias

Back to top Go down

Holiday Project (possibility?) what do you think Empty gifts for foster toddlers and babies

Post  atacarrillo Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:31 pm

Good ideas! I'm not crafty enough and it's getting late too. That might be a great thing to teach my daughters that we can work on all year. But browsing the $1 items at Target and Walmart is a good idea... ya never know. Michaels also has alot of little $1 items, but not really for little ones.
atacarrillo
atacarrillo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down