Meet Me Halfway
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Warm Hugs - more winter project than holiday

5 posters

Go down

Warm Hugs - more winter project than holiday Empty Warm Hugs - more winter project than holiday

Post  ElaUrias Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:30 am

Yeah lots of espresso today... the thoughts are flowing too fast:

I was thinking of all the retirees we have in AZ and though how do we engage this huge resource pool??? So I came up with an idea - mad possibly but yet it could work:

How many of these valuable people need/want something to do to give back? Well why not engage them to do something they may already love to do = how about we see if we can get them to make (knit/crocheting) scarves and hats for the homeless youth out on the streets? I know they can be bought but I think a warm hug that someone handcrafted is something really special. They are individual and unique and we could add a tag with a short message from the creator to the youth it was made for.

No it's not getting them off the streets but it would be so much nicer for them to be at least as warm as possible while we resolve the big problem.

I have a retirement centre just down the road a bit and could stop by and see if we have any takers on the project. I know there are a huge amount of retirement centres around the country...

Thoughts? Concern? Questions? ....anything?

Ok - well I'm back to work on what I should be working on.

Cheers,
Ela Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ElaUrias
ElaUrias

Back to top Go down

Warm Hugs - more winter project than holiday Empty Re: Warm Hugs - more winter project than holiday

Post  lzbetjerman Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:15 am

This is a wonderful thought. It is worth asking, the worst they can say is "NO". We have a huge nursing home / assisted living center in our town. I would be willing to ask around to see if someone would do the same Smile

lzbetjerman

Back to top Go down

Warm Hugs - more winter project than holiday Empty Re: Warm Hugs - more winter project than holiday

Post  KristyBarto Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:49 am

Hi all! This is a great idea. I know that when our families here come to pick up their Angel Tree gifts for their children we also have a "Hat,Scarf,Mitten" tree that is made out of ply wood which is shaped like the outline of a Christmas Tree- we pin all the items on the tree and if families are in need they can choose what is appropriate for their children at that time. Usually pick up day is a few days before Christmas- so that's some time for knitting Smile

Thanks Ela!!!
~Kristy

KristyBarto

Back to top Go down

Post  feleciakiser Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:17 am

This is a wonderful idea! I love it!
feleciakiser
feleciakiser

http://helpfosterlings.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Warm Hugs - more winter project than holiday Empty Love it!

Post  atacarrillo Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:42 pm

Another Awesome Idea, Ela! That's what the forum s/b all about getting great ideas from one another! This is another great idea that could be sent out to MMH members in a mass email for the peeps not getting on the forum!
atacarrillo
atacarrillo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down